Hilly Areas Sustainable Agricultural Development Project
Provide technical assistance to small-scale farmers in two disadvantaged areas in Lebanon: Akkar and Baalbeck-Hermel through the creation and management of service centers by the regional cooperative unions.
- Provide technical assistance to the cooperative unions of Al-Joumieh in Akkar and to the union of regional cooperatives of Baalbeck-Hermel to transform the services provided to farmers into operational and self-sustaining Farming Service Centres (FSC);
- Improve productivity and quality of local production to increase incomes and reinforce the links with the market;
- Ensure the sustainability of the project through the implementation of a viable economic model for the FSCs and access to new markets.
- Improve the infrastructure of the FSCs;
- Capacity building of the FSCs’ members and farmers;
- Develop agricultural extension and advisory activities for farmers;
- Improve marketing and market access.
Results and impact
- Increase production quality, create local brands and an Organic label
- Improve the farmer’s income in both target regions
- Enhance the technical and financial autonomy of the FSCs
CIHEAM-IAMM - France
Source of funding: Fonds International de Développement Agricole (FIDA)
Contact: Tahani Abdelhakim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Total budget: 1 499 058 €
- Centre d’Expérimentation Horticole de Marsillargues (CEHM) - France
- Institut de l’Olivier (IO) - Tunisie